Friday, December 23, 2011

Merry Meringues

One last post before Christmas to report an itty bitty Christmas miracle - baking attempt #3, in which I made these peppermint meringues - was a surprising success!


I have a weird love of meringue.  I don't know if it's the airy sweetness, the likeness to marshmallows, or just the feeling of accomplishment I get when achieving the perfect stiff peaks needed during the egg white beating process.


Or, maybe it's just that many years ago I attempted to make meringue nests (using an Ina recipe), and they were a horrible fail.  (Most likely a self-inflicted fail.)  But every other attempt, whether it be regular meringue, swiss meringue buttercream frosting, or now these peppermint meringues, has worked out perfectly!


When I saw this recipe, I was immediately drawn to it due to my love of meringue AND because I had recently stocked up on peppermint extract. This time I read the reviews, but ignored the poor ones, and just followed the recipe exactly as provided.  And voila!


I can't wait to enjoy them with some tea (or champagne!) over the next few days.

1 comment: