Monday, February 18, 2013

Bumpdate: Week 29


Had I written this post a couple days ago, this would have been yet another woe-is-me I'm-tired-of-being-pregnant post. But, as the theme of this week was apparently "roller coaster emotions", and I am back to my somewhat positive and upbeat (yet sarcastic) self, I hope to now spare you of much negativity.

What a week. I don't know if it was the result of being snowbound all last weekend, or James being away on a business trip for a few days, or just all the hormones that have taken over my body, but for the better part of this week, I was an emotional basket case! I'd cry at the drop of a hat, I wasn't feeling particularly great about my body, and in general, I just felt very sorry for myself (for no reason, mind you).

Out for a leisurely RUN down our entire street on Valentine's Day.

However, the end of the week brought a much happier me. I had a fabulous Valentine's Day comprised of our traditional family lunch out, a gorgeous walk outside (the first time we've gotten to do that in awhile), a home-cooked meal (in which I didn't have to do any prep or clean-up), and thanks to James, a future spa day with one of my favorite friends. We had a fun night out on Friday with some friends from out-of-town, and then another fun but relaxing night away as we spent Saturday night down in Rhode Island with my family. It was a great way to end the week.

With that said, I'm ready to face my thirtieth week of pregnancy head-on, and with a much more positive attitude. After all, ten weeks left is nothing - right? Right?

So what happens this coming week? Baby is now the size of a butternut squash. (Ironic, as this week's dinner plans include a spaghetti squash.) Baby's height and weight don't change much, as she is busy getting fatter. Perhaps more importantly anyway, this week her brain goes through a bit of development, as it takes on a brain's characteristic grooves and indentations. Apparently these new wrinkles allow for baby to prepare for life outside my belly, and for the street smarts she will need. (Or rather, the manipulative tactics she'll need to devise in order to steal toys from her big brother.)

Also, Baby's lanugo - the soft hair covering her body - is beginning to disappear now that her fat and brain are regulating her temperature. Though apparently I may see a few leftover strands of "fur" on her back and shoulders when she is born. Hmm.

Total weight gained: This is a rather sore subject this week, but I'll just put it out there. I had a doctor's appointment on Valentine's Day (this turned out to be the one downside of my day) at 4 p.m. Pregnant friends - word of advice - never schedule a check-up for late in the afternoon. Especially after indulging in chocolates and a nice lunch out earlier in the day.

The first thing the nurse said when I got on the scale was, "Woah. You went up quite a bit this week." Um, worst thing to say to a hormonal pregnant woman. Ever.

On the brink of a breakdown, I later spoke to my doctor about it, and she said that in looking at my body and face, which wasn't bloated or puffy, she wasn't worried. Though she then checked out my charts from when I was pregnant with Sammy, and it appeared that at this time in my pregnancy with him, I was about six pounds less. "Do you work out?" the doctor asked. "What do you do for exercise?"

Again, I nearly had a nervous breakdown. Though I generally feel good about the amount of working out I've done throughout this pregnancy, part of me can't help but compare it to my usual workout activity when not pregnant and thus feel like I'm not doing it enough.

But mostly, I blame my eating habits. Between Super Bowl weekend and being stuck inside all last weekend, I'm sure I overindulged in snacks, etc. And it's no secret that as of late, my diet has mostly comprised of candy and Ina's heavy cream- and carb-heavy recipes.

After sobbing to James on the drive home from my appointment, I jumped on my bike and rode 12 miles (not in a scary, obsessive, must-lose-weight way - just because this is the mileage I have been working around lately) and then weighed myself. I was three pounds down. The next morning, I was two more pounds down.

Peace out, mini peanut butter cups with sea salt. I'll miss you....

So in the end, this brought two things to light. 1) Getting weighed at the end of the day is ridiculous. And 2) I really could be eating a bit better and now need to make more of an effort to do so. It's occurred to me more than once that Baby's vitamin-intake generally comes from my prenatal pills, rather than the foods I consume each day, and that shouldn't be the case. And thus, I'm done with candy (for the most part). I really don't need that one diet soda a day. Beige foods are not the best way to supply nourishment to my baby. And I desperately need to start eating more vegetables. I've officially replaced Ina's latest cookbook on my kitchen counter with my "healthy bible", and this coming week, I really hope to make some positive changes to my diet. I'm not necessarily planning on eating less - just eating better.

And perhaps next week I'll share some actual weight numbers with you. But not this week.

Belly / Movement: As I typed those words, I just glanced down at my stomach and noticed a huge coffee spot that dripped on top of my belly. Awesome. Otherwise, I am still feeling a ton of movement. Not necessarily all kicks and such, but a lot of rolling around. And the belly tightening / Braxton Hicks slowed down a bit this week, which is a good thing, I think.

Sleep: Eh, it's been better. When your husband is away and you wake up at 3 a.m. to the sound of what you pray is an animal trekking through the snow right next to your bedroom window - well, it's difficult to go back to sleep.

My handsome valentines.
Last year's Valentine's Day lunch.

Best moment of the week: Valentine's Day in its entirety (minus the hour or so I was at the doctor and the time after, in which I lamented over my weight).

Food cravings / aversions: I'm slowly transitioning my craving for candy to a craving for fruit. It's a good thing that I have a toddler who is obsessed with fruit as it makes it super easy for me to enjoy a little of his pear, apple, blueberries, etc. Now if only his veggies looked as appealing to me.

Weird symptoms: Nothing too weird this week, other than this damn itchy left palm that just refuses to go away! And a bit of leg stiffness each morning. Though some of this I attribute to the amount of biking I've done this week.

Workout: With my month of Baby Boot Camp up, and James away, I resorted to my bike trainer exclusively this week and got in 40 miles total. Though I missed swimming, I am loving my bike. Even more so, I am loving the fact that I no longer get very sore when I'm on it for a period of time! (I owe you one, padded bike shorts.)
  • Monday: Biked 12 miles in 44 minutes (16.4 mile pace)
  • Tuesday: Biked 8 miles in 30 minutes (16.0 mile pace)
  • Wednesday: Rest day
  • Thursday: Biked 12 miles in 38 minutes (19.2 mile pace) (<-- This is close to what I hope to achieve when I complete my first triathlon in September. Now to just factor in a half mile swim beforehand....)
  • Friday: Rest day
  • Saturday: (Very unintentional) rest day. I hate that my pool is so overbooked on Saturdays.
  • Sunday: Biked 8 miles in 29 minutes  (16.7 mile pace)
What I'm looking forward to: I continue to spend Sammy's nap time watching reruns of TLC's A Baby Story, and I continue to cry during every episode at the point when the babies are placed in the moms' arms for the first time. I really can't wait for that moment. 

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea what you are talking about... you look fabulous!!!!! Hang in there--you're almost there! That probably sounds really obnoxious from someone who has never been pregnant, but...xxoo

    ReplyDelete