Monday, October 8, 2012

10 Things I'm Enjoying Right Now

I've been in a bit of a mood lately. I'm not sure if it's due to the cloudy weather we've experienced the past two days, the 20 degree temperature drop that apparently happened overnight, or just a lack of sleep. In an attempt to get me out of my funk, I thought I'd focus on some of the more trivial (and a few non-trivial) things I'm enjoying right now.

 

1. Fall television: Most notably, the return of Revenge and the premiere of The Mindy Project

Is anyone else feeling particularly gross after viewing last night's Real Housewives of New Jersey Reunion Part 2? Ugh. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm in desperate need of a Bravo break. And there's no time like the present as my favorite show from last year, Revenge, is back! I love everything about this show - the crazy lengths Emily / Amanda will go through, the Hamptons eye candy, and how every episode leaves me in suspense. I find it hard to believe that season 2 will be half as good as the first season, but I'm excited to give it a shot. 

I haven't watched too many new shows, but I am enjoying The Mindy Project. I read Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me several months ago and laughed my way through the entire book. If you liked her book and enjoyed her character on The Office, you'll appreciate The Mindy Project. If anything, it's a nice distraction from those crazy NJ Housewives.


2. I'm currently rereading Anne of Green Gables. I loved this book as a child and am having fun going back through it. After finishing Gone Girl recently (which was insanely good), I think I was in need of something a bit more light-hearted. I'm also feeling nostalgic lately for some reason, so may tackle a few other childhood favorites before the year is over. (Little Women or A Little Princess, anyone?


3. Chances are, if you've seen me with Sammy lately, you've witnessed Sammy walking backward on command. (The photo above shows him doing it - sans pants.) I don't know why, but the shuffling of those little feet make James and I laugh non-stop. We make him do it for everyone we see. Luckily, he doesn't seem to mind.
4. Cozy blankets. If you walk into my house past 8 at night (okay, 7) or on a Sunday afternoon, just look for the lump under the brown plush blanket on the couch. (That would be me.) I've replaced our summer throw with our autumn / winter blanket, and basically haven't gotten out from under it since. Though I'm quite attached to "brownie," I'd love a plaid lambswool throw like the one above. (The better to hide my autumn / winter sweatpants.)


5. Pretty twill ribbon. I recently purchased this ribbon (in red and blue) from Paper Source and am in love with it. If you receive a gift from me anytime soon, this will likely adorn the present.

Photo courtesy of Jenny Steffens Hobick

6. This creamy spinach dip recipe. James and I hosted a small gathering this past weekend, and though we weren't actually tailgating, with football on in the background and a fire burning on our patio, I felt a tailgating-themed menu would be appropriate. I made Jenny Steffens Hobick's spinach dip, and while let's be honest - spinach dip is spinach dip (it's all delicious), I found this recipe to be a keeper. It was super easy, didn't include dry soup mix, and I could have eaten the entire dish.

 

7. Pretty fabric-covered bedside tables. Do you remember all the hubbub about redoing my master bedroom earlier this year? I made some progress, but not a ton. There is still some fine tweaking that needs to be done around my actual bed. (Never mind the remainder of the room - we won't venture there.) Anyway, I'm in love with these gorgeous fabric-covered bedside tables, and I feel certain that this is a project I could actually tackle. And the bonus is that we wouldn't have to buy new nightstands!


8. Apple cider. Confession: I don't love Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes. I used to, but now I find them too sweet for my liking. My preferred autumn drink of choice is apple cider - either hot or cold. It's refreshing, it's delicious, and it's one of the few caloric (non-alcoholic) beverages I allow myself. 


9. The prospect of attending my oldest friend's baby shower this coming weekend! Christine (pictured second from the right) and I have been friends since the second grade. I stopped counting after our friendship reached the 20-year mark, but yes, it's been that long. She was the first person that friended the new girl in school (that would be me), we played on countless softball and soccer teams together all the way from rec league to high school, and though we now live in separate states, we never have a hard time picking up where we left off when we do get to see each other. Christine is expecting her first baby this December, and I am so, so excited to see and celebrate her this weekend.

(And yes, there are probably a zillion photos of just the two of us that would make more sense to post here, but I couldn't find any decent ones [of me - she's way more photogenic] that were quickly accessible.) 


10. But before the weekend, James and I are sneaking away to Vermont for a night to (belatedly) celebrate our anniversary. I can not wait. 

Well look at that. I'm feeling better already! 

1 comment:

  1. I am spending my Sunday night catching up on your blog - I read the running one but didn't realize you'd written a bunch of others since September! Bad friend, despite the lovely sentiments above! (And the reason I got on the computer to begin with was to write back to your emails, which I vow to do before 8PM.)

    ReplyDelete